Monday, July 11, 2011

Port Broughton and Fisherman's Bay

Port Broughton Hotel
Port Broughton is a delightful seaside town situated right at the top of Yorke Peninsular.  It is 176 kms from Adelaide, travelling on Highway One through Port Wakefield, then Kulpara and Bute.  Major centres are nearby with Port Pirie 58 kms to the North and Kadina 46 kms to the South.  Port Broughton makes an ideal base to visit the adjacent Mid North – lower Flinders, the Clare Wineries and the Copper Triangle. 
The town has picturesque character, offering a safe and protected beach area for the children, and easy access to the Gulf Waters.  The streets are very wide and the area is very clean.  The people are very friendly and I sensed a great community support, with an aging population everyone seems to look out for each other without being too intrusive. 
Fisherman's Bay
Saturday we caught up again with cousin Phyl and her daughter Gail in Snowtown with an added bonus of Phyl’s brother Pike and his wife Lorraine visiting over from Wallaroo.  We went through lots of old photos, but unfortunately there were none of my dad but some photos of my Aunty Joyce that had an uncanny likeness to my sister Beth.  Sunday we reconnected with cousin Basil and Maureen and enjoyed a very pleasant few hours with them.  Maureen also does patchwork and scrapbooking.  She is working on a candlewick quilt at the moment and the embroidery is beautiful.
The view out of the window of the bus early morning
  I joined the ladies at Port Broughton Quilters for the day at their base at the Golf Club.  They were also very prolific and enthusiastic patch workers, so I was able to while away a few pleasant hours with their company.  I went to the Barunga Village Aged Care facility on the way home and had a brief visit with my dad’s last living sibling, my Aunty Joyce, she suffers from dementia but she seemed quite lucid and remembered Dad, although she said he had been gone for a long time.  We leave this lovely spot tomorrow for Port Germein about 80kms north of here.  It will be sad in some ways because I have grown to love this little spot and it was rather nice to meet some of my relatives.  Bill informs me that when we are at Port Germein we will be less than 2000 kms from Kalgoorlie, so nearly on home soil.

No comments: