Friday, August 13, 2010

Tweeds Coast

Parked at Mullumbimby Rugby Leagues Club
The heavens opened up and the rain poured down on Tuesday but by late Wednesday the sun started shining again. There have been a lot of strong winds since but still very sunny. Monday 9th Aug 2010 we drove to Brisbane to catch up with the family after battling the slow traffic through the Gold Coast. We had intended to watch them run in their school’s sports carnival on Tuesday but due to the rain it was cancelled, a bit disappointing but nevertheless we managed to have some more quality time with the grandies.

River at Rugby Leagues Club
 Thursday 12th August 2010 we decided to drive along the beaches at Tweeds Head and visit some friends at Palm Beach. We weaved our way along dropping into various beaches on the way. The water was a little rough but some people still braved the elements and were espied swimming, fishing and kayaking. Our first beach was Wooyong Beach not far from Mullumbimby and just past Brunswick Heads.

We had a little wander along the beach, nobody swimming here. We travelled along the Tweed Coast Highway through Pottsville and stopped at Hastings Point.

There was much more activity going on here. The water looked lovely and rich with green and blue contrasted against the white sand of the beach. There were a lot of folks walking around here. We continued on through Carbrita and into Diamond Beach.

 This again was a lovely beach. There seems to be a lot of caravan parks along the coast. We drove through a lovely resort at Cotton beach but were not able to access the water and then through Bogangar, Cudgen and on to Kingscliffe.

 Kingscliffe is a much more densely populated area but still nice. There were a lot of cafes and eateries along the coast especially at Kingscliffe but there wasn’t any parking available. We drove along Pacific Highway through Tweed Heads and Coolangatta towards Palm Beach looking for somewhere to dine as it was getting on to 2.00 by then and I was starving. We managed to find the Fish Monger in Burleigh Heads and enjoyed a nice lunch. We called in to see Noeleen and Ken, but didn’t stay long as they had a lot of visitors and were quite busy. We didn’t catch up with Ken as he was having a Nana Nap so I guess we will catch up with them sometime in Tasmania unless our paths cross on their way down. Monday we will be leaving this lovely spot and travelling on to Casino perhaps staying our first night at a roadside camp on the way.

River at Rugby Leagues Club
Talk again soon

No comments: